Thursday, September 16, 2010

Just call me Betty Crocker...

Here is the finished apron made out of last post's fabric. I finished the apron on Monday. I never did take any "in progress" pics, so you only get to see the finished product. The pattern that I used is called "More Retro Aprons" by Cindy Taylor Oates; I made view A2 (which is on the back) without the bow. This is the first time that I have used a pattern like this, but I think it worked out well. The green material for the lining is something that I had in my stash. It's a pretty heavy cotton weave. The yellow ricrac was also in my stash. I didn't exactly follow the measurements for the ruffles. The cupcake fabric wasn't wide enough with the direction of the pattern on the fabric, so my ruffles are less full than the pattern calls for. I would have liked fuller ruffles but didn't want to piece them, so this seemed to be my best option.

My only dislike about the way that this project turned out, is that somehow the front of the apron ended up being about 1/2 inch longer than the lining, which causes it to bag and hang in such a way that the bottom ruffle looks uneven. The solution to this problem is pretty simple (remove part of the lining and shorten one of the seams between the under-section and one of the ruffles), but I am too lazy right now to fix it. Also, I'm fair certain no one will notice besides me.

I got to test drive my apron by making some brownies. I looked pretty cute while doing so, although I still managed to drip brownie goo between my shirt and the apron, staining my shirt and defeating the point of wearing an apron in the first place. ::sigh::

Close up of the back loop and lining

Close up of the ruffles

The back/straps/tie

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That looks delicious!